Blog post 4

img_20161017_085753

When I began our independent project, I had a plan in mind. However, not all plans work out and that can be both a positive and negative thing. In this case, I would say that it is a positive thing because I learned a lot from my mistakes. I did not know how to attach handles well to my vessel. It was a risk to take. I decided to take this risk. Before I made my piece, I decided to create a maquette to model the piece and so I could better understand what technique would be best to use. I first created the maquette by coiling, however, that didn’t work well. Next I tried using the pinching technique. This technique was much better for the vessel itself but I still had trouble with smoothly attaching the handles.img_20161103_084043

I kept this maquette as a guide for my piece and began the work on it. In class, we began learning about making an enclosed pinch pot form. This was very useful. I attempted to create my piece over again using the new technique and found that handles were much easier to attach. While I experienced some difficulties, I found how to solve my problem and I’m proud of the outcome.

img_20161103_084129

3 thoughts on “Blog post 4

• Great job using past experience as a guide to plan your piece. How could you have made the handle more even?

• I could have doubled up on the coils so that they created a stronger handle. I also did not use enough slip when attaching the handle.